Mets Savior Hector Santiago Is Here

Every so often, you hear a quote in a press conference which causes you to snap to attention so quickly you risk paralysis. You have to go back on multiple occasions just to make sure you heard it correctly because you cannot possibly believe it was said. Yesterday, Brodie Van Wagenen had one of those gems:

On a day where the Mets were starting Wilmer Font, announced Seth Lugo was heading to the IL, and Yoenis Cespedes broke his ankle ending his already tenuous ability to return this season, Brodie Van Wagenen stood up there and said he improved the roster by adding Hector Santiago to the roster.

Hector Santiago.

We shouldn’t be too sure to dismiss this as a mistake. After all, in February, Van Wagenen said, “Hector Santiago is an All-Star at the major-league level.” (Matt Ehalt, Yahoo).

You can spin this however you want. You can say this is part of his sales job as the General Manager. After all, he did say the Mets were the team to beat despite not having a fifth starter or starting center fielder. You could say this was meant to say Santiago is an upgrade over what was already there. However, his comments do jive with what he said during Spring Training.

No matter how you look at it, Van Wagenen is once again over-selling us on a below replacement level player. He is doing it while the Mets are paying Santiago a pro rated $3 million instead of say using that money on Gio Gonzalez as the fifth starter. Of course, the Mets couldn’t do that because they’d have to guarantee him a spot in the rotation over Jason Vargas, and we know he can’t do that to a former client even if it meant improving the club.

In any event, maybe Van Wagenen was right. After all, the Mets are now 1-0 in the Hector Santiago era.

9 thoughts on “Mets Savior Hector Santiago Is Here”

1. Oldbackstop says:

You know, I think I finally figured you out. If you mock every single player, coach, manager, and owner of the Mets, and only speak well of 17 year old Dominican rookies, you will have plenty of I-told-you-sos to fill columns during the seasons.

Nope. That’s not it, especially since I don’t publish I told you so articles.

2. LongTimeFan1 says:

Earnest, over at Gotham he has another J.D. Davis hate article. There’s a reason he doesn’t get many responses on his own blog. You and I know. people sow bad reputations which are then hard to shake.

I’ve learned never trust his articles for accuracy of facts and stats. Aside biased analysis, he’s typically makes factual errors wherever he posts. I warn people on MMO and point out the errors. I just don’t get why someone doesn’t care about accuracy, nor bothers fact-checking before posting.

I sometimes also take screen shots of my comments on this blog as hedge against his deletion of them which has happened. but I visit this site less and less.

I think in the future I am going to try to write for MMO and start my own blog. I’ve been a webmaster of multiple websites over the years with emphasis on common sense, quality, fairness and accuracy. There’s no need to attention seek by writing stupid stuff to get clicks.

I’ve only deleted comments when they’re duplicative, post content from another source, or are particularly hateful with abusive and foul language.

But you keep those screen shots.

1. Oldbackstop says:

I like the back and forth with MD and I think he has integrity.You, on the other hand, LTF, sound like a troll nut.

I appreciate the kind words, but let’s refrain from the insults

2. LongTimeFan1 says:

Definitely not a troll. I just expect factual accuracy and fair player evaluation.

And especially the open-mindedness that players can and do improve. I’ve seen a great deal of that in the 50 years I’ve been a Mets, MLB and baseball fan. Stats, technology and analytics provide data which should be used not just to analyze past and current performance but to especially help players grow. And that’s where understanding the intricacies of baseball tools and skills, approach mental make up, work ethic ties it all together. Player development is what its all about. If Mets Daddy had his way, a lot of good and great players would have never developed. Fortunately, that’s not the way it works.

It’s bizarre to suggest I’m the guy against a team developing its players.

And I’d note, not agreeing with your opinions does not de facto mean my player evaluation is unfair.