Mets Only Hurt Themselves By Not Trading Duda Or Bruce To The Yankees

Heading into the trade deadline, there were rumors the Mets were willing to eat salary in order to maximize the return for a player. There were also the rumors the Mets would be willing to trade with the Yankees.

Ultimately, both rumors proved to be false.

When it came to Lucas Duda, the return from the Tampa Bay Rays was arguably weak.  In exchange for a top 10 first baseman, the Mets got a relief prospect.  Sure, Drew Smith could ultimately be a good reliever, but he’s still a reliever in the Vic Black/Bobby Parnell mold – big arm, hard time putting batters away.

The argument in response will be there was a weak market for 1B/DH players, and Duda had an e luring deal. Lost in the argument was the Mets failed to create a real bidding war.

As Jon Heyman of Fan Rag Sports reported, the Mets didn’t make Duda available to the Yankees. As an unnamed Yankees official stated, “he Mets just wouldn’t trade him to us.”

To those who were skeptical of the report, please turn your attention to the Jay Bruce trade.

In exchange for a player on pace for a 40 HR, 100 RBI season, the Mets received Ryder Ryan from the Cleveland Indians. Ryan is a former 30th round pick who is a converted reliever. In the deal, the Indians took on all of Bruce’s salary.

For those Mets fans thinking Bruce should’ve netted more, you might be right.

According to Marc Carig of Newsday, the Yankees were interested in Bruce, and according to his sources, the Yankees were offering two prospects many teams inquired about at the trade deadline. According to Carig, “Yankees would have covered only a portion of salary, but Yankees offered better players it seems.”

If true, this is complete and utter nonsense. The Yankees possess a deep farm system with players who could have helped the Mets in the long run.

Who cares if Duda or Bruce helped the Yankees win a World Series?  They weren’t helping the Mets win one this year. In fact, the only way these players would’ve helped the Mets win a World Series was to get an important piece in return who could have been a significant part of a winner. At the moment, it’s hard to make that argument for Smith or Ryan.

In reality, a Mets team who has been unwilling to spend commensurate with their market size and window of contention, once again took the cheap route. They dumped two players on smaller market teams and got underwhelming returns.

Their actions proved they were unwilling to ear salary for a better return, and they were unwilling to help the Yankees win. It was petty, small-minded, and it was bad business.

It doesn’t matter if this came from Sandy Alderson or Jeff Wilpon. What matters is it happened, and the Mets are arguably worse off for it. In the end, I really hope Smith and Ryan was worth it. Chances are they won’t be.

UPDATE: It gets better.  Not only did the Mets care more about money than the prospect return, but they also cared about those four meaningless games against the Yankees

48 thoughts on “Mets Only Hurt Themselves By Not Trading Duda Or Bruce To The Yankees”

1. Jay says:

In what world is Lucas Duda a “top-10 first baseman”? I agree with most of your article but I almost closed the page when I read that description. Lucas has sporadic but inconsistent power, is not nearly as good a hitter as he should be, and is a middling to somewhat-decent fielder at best.
    I too am disappointed with the return from this trade. I would be interested to know who the two Yankees prospects were, which I have not seen printed anywhere. I feel like the quality of the two prospects is probably not nearly as high as they are in peoples’ imaginations.
    Additionally, I am sick of Yankee fans being so self-centered, sure that the baseball world revolves around their team and that every move every other team makes simply must have been made with the Yankees in mind! “The Mets traded Reed to the Red Sox? They must have done that to hurt the Yankees! Duda to the Rays? Only so he will beat the Yankees! OMG we wanted Bruce but they traded him to Cleveland just to keep him away from the Yankees!” Yeah, that’s all a bunch of bullshit. 28 other teams exist besides the Yankees and Mets, and not everything they do features the Yankees at the forefront of their planning.

Please name 10 first basemen better than Duda

Carlos Santana
    Joe Mauer
    Adrian Gonzalez
    Justin Bour
    Albert Pujols
    Mark Reynolds

I’d give you some credibility in your response if you didn’t put DHs and injured players on the list

3. Jay says:

Pare it down with whichever technicalities you wish, but Duda won’t come anywhere near the top 10.

DH isn’t a technicality. It’s a different position

2. Jose says:

I’m not even a Mets fan (Phillies) and I realize that A) his premise is sound with Duda being a consistent Top-10/15 1B in the league and B) the Mets got a underwhelming return for him. The list of “20 1st basemen better than Duda” includes DHs, rookies who might end going into a sophomore slump or be a flash in the pan, or players who struggle with inconsistency due to either injury or lack of consistency season to season.

Well said.

4. Jay says:

Yes, DH is a different position – it is also one that Lucas has already played with the Rays 3 times in his less-than-two-week stint with the team. I guess we’ll eliminate all the guys who split time between first and DH but keep Duda on the list because it better suits MetsDaddy’s blue-and-orange-tinted ramblings about how great Lucas Duda is! The Rays think so too – that’s why they refuse to play him against any left-handed pitchers and are already leery of having him in the field over LoMo.

Duda is 6th in the majors in wRC+ among major league first baseman this year.

In 2014, he was ninth, and in 2015, he was 11th.

I can’t believe my magic blue-and-orange-tinted-glasses was able to put Duda in the top 10.

I should probably use them for more important things.

1. Jay says:

Thanks! The one sabr stat you were able to dig up that somewhat supports your argument is really stone solid proof. Only every GM in baseball would rather have every player I put on the list earlier and Matt Adams, Mike Napoli and other platoon (like Duda) players who are also better. We shall hang our heads in shame, mighty stat nerd who clearly hasn’t been watching Duda play for his lengthy Mets career!

So, I present an actual stat to reaffirm my position, and you dismiss the point on the basis of your unsubstantiated opinion?

2. Jay says:

Interesting – the baseball gold standard stat you referenced is heavily biased towards players who hit in pitcher-friendly parks and it makes Ryan Schimpf look like a top player.

It’s a weighted stat that takes ballparks into consideration, so no

5. Jay says:

In fact, I and your other readers, assuming there are any, are very interested in your ranking of the first basemen in MLB. Please leave out, as per your instructions, all players who have been injured this season or have played DH. I am fascinated to see where Lucas Duda would fit, even if you still included him despite the fact that he has been both injured this year and played DH. Your eye for scouting is second to none, so please proceed…

For future reference, when you offer a pot shot, don’t negate it immediately.

If you’ve read something I’ve written, you’re a reader.

1. Jay says:

I guess that makes you my reader, too! Thanks for the loyal interest in my comments!

I’m only reading my site like you and many others

1. Jay says:

Well let’s get some of your many stimulated readers to weigh in on this discussion of whether or not Lucas Duda is a top-10 MLB first baseman!
            What does everyone else think?!

I’m sure they will. With that said, it doesn’t change the fact you’re wrong.

6. Jay says:

I’m waiting with bated breath for your throngs of loyal readers to give their opinions! Is Lucas Duda a top-10 MLB first baseman or not? Weigh in please!

MetsDaddy says he is an unquestioned top ten player based on one obscure stat while eliminating from consideration all players who are currently injured or split time at DH, even though Duda now does just that. I say Duda’s a lousy, inconsistent, one-tool platoon player. Who is closer to the mark?

And your proof for your position?

Wait, you have none

2. patrick says:

holy $hit dude! enough trolling; you sound like an idiot AND an a$shole

7. Jay says:

Thought I’d check back – still tumbleweeds, eh? This agora is really a refreshing and stimulating marketplace of ideas.
    PS – my proof is every stat ever besides wRC+ and also many many games of actually watching Lucas Duda play and watching first basemen on other teams, who invariable are better hitters, better baserunners, and often better defensively than legendary platoon player and occasional mop-up solo homerun hitter Lucas Duda!

Your proof is your eye test being better than mine. Just to refresh my recollection, which MLB team employs you that we should just accept your unsubstantiated opinions?

1. Jay says:

Yes, you should accept everyone’s unsubstantiated opinions on this, your amateur blog. You should just be glad someone read and commented. You gave your opinion. I gave mine. Why is that unallowable? Should people only comment one here if they leave nothing but agreements and praise for your unsubstantiated opinion?

You have an unsubstantiated opinion, and you’ve been a jerk in your replies.

Want to have an honest discussion? Great, lets have it.

However, that’s not what you wanted. If you did, you wouldn’t have attacked me with inane commentary

8. Jay says:

I said I disagree with your absurd ranking of Lucas Duda, as any sane person would, then added a couple other comments related to your journal entry. You challenged me to make a list of 1B better than Duda and I blew you away with twice what you demanded. You cried about DH technicalities yet did not apply them to your own ranking. You used one unproven and not-widely-accepted stat from less than nhalf the years of his career to proclaim your genius. You’re the one who has been a jerk the whole time. But I’m sure you think you’re some kind of mega-important sports writer whose opinion matters most. Of course, I doubt you’ve ever even talked to a real player, except to beg for an autograph on 19 different versions of his trading card you have in your backpack. You are also clearly not an athlete or former athlete, as anyone looking at your Twitter pic can see that last time you ran on those pasty white legs it was to catch the ice cream truck. You have less credibility as a baseball writer than Kanye West.

My ranking is absurd except for the stats I used to back it up. You’ve offered no stats in return to rebut my premise. Rather, you’ve acted like a child resorting to insults.

9. Jeff B says:

Lucas Duda, a top 10 1B? That is pretty funny. If you polled all 30 GMs, I highly doubt 1 of them would put him in the top 10. And as far as the 1B/DH argument, Duda isnt a terrible fielder, but he is average at best. He would be a DH for most AL teams because most of them have superior fielding and hitting 1B to Duda. The rest of the article was severely hampered by that Duda statement and your comments defending it make me think I wasted my time clicking on this link and posting this comment.

I have no idea why my use of objective stats to sustain a credible position makes you say you wasted your time. Seems like a silly thing to say.

As for the rest of your assertions on Duda, I’ll be happy to address them if you offer anything in terms of evidence instead of unsubstantiated opinion.

1. Jeff B says:

Here is an experiment for you. Ask as many people as you can find in your real life as well as online. Let me know how many of them think Duda is a top 10 1B. I bet it will be very tough for you to find one and I am sure you will get many of the people to laugh at you for the idea that you think Duda is that good compared to other MLB 1B.

If you understand statistics and polling you would know that would be a fruitless exercise as you would be unlikely to get the poll results within a reasonable margin of error.

1. Jeff B says:

That is why I said if you polled the 30 GMs in MLB, not 1 of them would have Duda ranked that highly. He has never made an all star game, he got MVP votes 1 time in his career, he got 3 points that year finishing in 22nd place. There is no rational person that thinks that highly of Duda. I guess it should make you proud that you think more of him than anyone else on the planet.

You didn’t say 30 GMs. You said as many people as I know.

With that said, how do you use writer’s votes to substantiate a belief held by GMs.

Also, and I hate to tell you this, but a top 10 1B does not make All Star teams. Top 5 or 6 do, not top 10.

10. 4seamer says:

If Duda was a top 10 1b, the Mets would have had multiple offers, a bidding war, and a better return. Did the Yankees inquire about Duda? I honestly think if he were that highly regarded and his metrics proved to increase a teams wins above replacement, than the return would have been far greater. Drew Smith appears decent, but lets remember he only has 1 inning of AAA ball under his belt.

Of course the Yankees were interested in a Top 10 MLB first baseman. Other teams were as well.

Part of the issue was Duda had an expiring deal. The other part was the Mets seemed hellbent on getting RHP prospects

1. Jeff B says:

It’s hilarious you think he is a top 10 1B. Duda himself knows he isn’t, the only people in the world besides you who may think that would be his parents and wife, and even they may know better. Other than that, nobody thinks that, for good reason, because he isn’t.

Saying Duda had a wife was one of the many incorrect things you said in your childish comment

1. Jeff B says:

Well I didnt know if he was married, but nevertheless that doesnt diminish the fact no one on Earth thinks he is a top 10 1B other than his parents and you. There isn’t anything childish about that fact.

Your insistence he isn’t absent proof is childish.

Your spewing off at the mouth with no idea what you are talking about making up stuff as you go is childish as well.

11. Griff says:

Mets compete for fans with the Yankees. They want no part in helping a Yankees playoff run.

Cubs and W-Sox can make that trade because one team is in rebuild mode. Mets plan to compete for a title next year.

If the Mets truly intend to contend next year, the best way to accomplish that would be to get the best players in return.

12. Sam S says:

Your blog sucks, 1st and last time visiting it. Duda is obviously replacement level and no where near top 10 1st basemen. I wish you were in my fantasy league. Jeez you suck…though Cerrone sucks a lot more. You are top 2 sucky Mets blogs…congrats!

Judging from your comment, you desperately want people you perceive to be dumb in your fantasy league because your inability to properly evaluate players constantly leaves you in last place or very near it.

13. Jobu says:

An argument could be made to fit Duda in the top 10. Since the start of 2014 Duda has definitely been a top 15 first baseman. I’ll put him at 13, why not, and that pertains to his performance this year too. Most first basemen tend to be flawed and Duda is no exception. It doesn’t mean he’s bad when compared to his contemporaries. His trade value was depressed because there was minimal demand for first basemen and DHs among the contending teams. The Yankees would have most likely given the Mets greater value for Duda or Bruce than they received, but the Mets chose to extract less value for their assets due to off-field reasons, which was the premise of the article. The reactions by Jay, Jeff, and Sam are way off the mark. Guys, put down the Budweiser, and try to utilize a modicum of critical thought or analysis before you make rude, empty-headed comments. thanks