Yoenis Cespedes Is Never A Boar

When it comes to Yoenis Cespedes, we have long since learned to never be surprised.

This is a man who put on a car show during the 2016 Spring Training. He’d give the keys to a clubhouse attendant one day to drive to the store because the clubhouse had the wrong waffle iron, and Cespedes wanted to make waffles.

We’d also see Cespedes purchase a farm, a $7,000 pig, and ride horses with Noah Syndergaard to Spring Training.

He’s as fun and eccentric a player the Mets have ever had. One day, he’s riding a horse to the ballpark, and the next, he’s hitting a homer against the Yankees despite needing double heel surgery.

That’s why, when he broke his ankle at his farm, you knew the story, if it ever broke was a doozy. Due to the exceptional reporting of Joel Sherman, Ken Davidoff, and Mike Puma of the New York Post, we have confirmation that it was even wilder than we ever anticipated:

According to multiple people who were informed of the incident, Cespedes has traps on his ranch for a variety of reasons, including to keep boars away from people. But one boar was removed from a trap — perhaps by Cespedes — and either charged toward Cespedes or startled him, causing Cespedes to step into a hole. Cespedes suffered the fractured ankle at a time when he was recovering from surgery to both heels that already was jeopardizing his playing status in 2019.

Yes, the same player who once opted music from the Lion King as his at-bat walk-up song potentially fought off a wild boar. At a minimum, he at least had to avoid them because that’s exactly what you expect to hear about a player rehabbing from double heel surgery.

Perhaps more remarkable than the story is the fact a Cespedes in two bum heels faced off in some fashion against a wild boar, and he lived to tell about it. Really, when you think about it, escaping with just a broken ankle is a near miracle.

For any other player, this would be a shocking story. Yet, with respect to Cespedes, it’s quite more bemusing. With this being the Mets, you absolutely have some to expect these things.

While we may not be entirely shocked Cespedes faced down a boar, we should also not be shocked when he hits a big homer in his return. After all, this is Cespedes, and he has never been boaring.

0 thoughts on “Yoenis Cespedes Is Never A Boar”

1. Oldbackstop says:

Blair. I put up a post on the bill james site about your WAR projection comments and Tom Tango answered saying he would comment if you wanted to further explain it.

1. Blair M. Schirmer says:

@Oldbackstop — Happy New Year, friend! [fwiw i posted this at January 4, 2020 at 3:51 am, but it disappeared from the site] Can you remind me which comment that was? (Fwiw, the only reason I haven’t signed up for bill’s site and had largely stayed off sites like BaseballThinkFactory and fangraphs some years back is a largely vain attempt at self-discipline and limiting the time I spend thinking about baseball.)

As an aside I was just thinking about the Donaldson rumors, that he’s now asking for 4/110m, and my conviction that the Mets as constructed needed to add front line talent–at least two terrific players–to get into contention.

Donaldson’s too expensive for the Mets, I suspect, even if they had yet to spend a dime this offseason, but playing GM I think I would have gone for Cole Hamels at 1/18m and Will Smith at 3/40m. I might even have forgone Smith and gambled instead on a return to career norms by Diaz and Familia (since you have to roll the dice somewhere with an 86 win team), and added someone like Moustakas, seeking to add a 3 win player and creating a surplus in the OF by moving McNeil there, letting me in theory deal JD and Dom for a cheap reliever. Fwiw I did think the Marisnick deal was… okay. The Mets needed a good backup CFer, though I would have preferred just a comparable FA who didn’t require minor league talent in trade.

—If you were starting from scratch and based on the prices we’ve seen, what is / was your 2019-20 offseason plan to get the Mets to the postseason?

2. Oldbackstop says:

Seems Brodie did a pretty masterful job on this on the Mets behalf.

He didn’t

1. Oldbackstop says:

How did he not, I’m curious to hear you explain….

I’d actually like you to explain this narrative you conjured out of nothing

3. Blair M. Schirmer says:

@Oldbackstop — Happy New Year, friend! Can you remind me which comment that was? (Fwiw, the only reason I haven’t signed up for bill’s site and had largely stayed off sites like BaseballThinkFactory and fangraphs some years back is a largely vain attempt at self-discipline and limiting the time I spend thinking about baseball.)

1. Oldbackstop says:

@Blair. HNY! So, firstly, you had referenced several times a methodology based on you either adding up WARs or finding projected ones to figure a team’s coming season. I was interested in you expanding on that, as I had found this epic 2014 thread with Tango and Rob Neyer and some other BJOL members sort of, courteously, putting WAR on trial. Tango was patient and excellent in explaining the benefits and limitations of it.

Hmm….my 2019 plan. Well…I wouldn’t have signed Wheeler at that price, to get that out of the way.

I think Porcello and Wacha were great signings…if they are both a disaster, we lose 13 million, not 118 million.

One guy that I think is still out there is Brock Holt, 31, UT, good pop, supposedly looking for 2/8.

I think the Mets have fallen into this “everyone is a utility player” mindset, and that is how you wake up one day with McNeil in CF and Dom Smith in left and the worst defense in baseball.

I would be concerned that we are f-ing up some guys by moving them around. I would say “Jeff you are our third baseman. JD, you are our left fielder. Nimmo, you are our CFer. Get all your reps there, get to know the guys around you, be comfortable and secure.

Dom, lose the OF glove. Conforto, dismiss the playing CF crap.

My concern is that the worst possible scenario in the NL is to build around a big young poor fielding first baseman. And he is the face of our team for the next ten years. Removes a lot of roster flexibility.

So….yes….if an AL team wanted to trade their farm, I would sell Alonso. Dom at first. Roll around in the riches that would bring us. Last year was the year of the HR, and Alonso was a new batter. Maybe next year they figure out a little and stay away from his launch sweetspots. Then you are left with a big slow young guy hitting .260 with a negative dWAR. Picking up a vet or moving a Ramos or JD there…it isn’t hard to get power out of first.

4. Oldbackstop says:

Keynes said “When the facts change, my opinions change. Don’t yours?”

MD, you charted it a Masada defense of your hating on Brodie. But in the last month it is revealed that he pulled off a brilliant, classy, discreet, and lucrative for the Mets restructuring of Yo-C’s contract, freeing up $20 million or so. He wooed and won over Cy Young winner Rick Porcello to a low risk one year deal when we had longer and more lucrative offers. He added Wacha as a high upside, no downside swingman. He landed Dellin Betances on a low risk deal, having at least one site project us as the top bullpen in 2020.

All three of those last additions cited the Mets sales job as key factors.

He also had a team that gained nine wins in his first year.

So…..what the hell does Brodie have to do to get you off his dick?

I’m sorry, but you completely lost me here.

Are we giving him credit for Cespedes falling and breaking his ankle?

Are we also supposed to give him credit for significantly downgrading the rotation?

Also, the players he acquired last offseason cumulatively had less than 2.0 WAR, which does not equate to eight wins.

What makes it worse was all the talent he gave up as well as the budget flexibility he destroyed.

Honestly, you can’t look at the job Van Wagenen has done and conclude he’s done a good job. Really, you can’t look at it and conclude he even knows what he’s doing.