Mets Finally Get It Right Hiring Luis Rojas

The right man for the Mets managerial job was Luis Rojas. That was true the day the team fired Mickey Callaway, the day they hired Carlos Beltran, and once again, the day they fired Beltran.

Rojas has been a minor league manager in the Mets system for seven years, and he was the quality control manager this past season. He has the respect of everyone in the organization, the deepest of roots in the game, and he has had a hand in the success of the core of this Mets roster.

In his time in the minors, he’s managed current Mets players Pete Alonso, Michael Conforto, Jacob deGrom, Luis Guillorme, Jeff McNeil, Brandon Nimmo, Amed Rosario, Dominic Smith, and others.

He’s also managed prospects like Andres Gimenez who could debut this upcoming season. Overall, this speaks not just to Rojas’ knowledge of the personnel, but also his ability to get the most out of these players.

This is why it’s being widely reported this is a very popular hire in the Mets clubhouse. It should be a popular hire with everyone.

This is a manager from the Alou family tree. That’s important with his father Felipe Alou being a longtime manager, and his brother, Moises Alou, having played for the Mets. With them, he not only had someone to lean on in terms of managing a team, but also, on the unique challenges of New York. Of course, Rojas can lean on his own experiences for that as well.

As the Quality Control Coach, he’s well versed in analytics, and he’s had communication with the front office about using them, and also, what the front office expectations are. He’s also spent the past year further developing and strengthening relations with everyone in the clubhouse, and really, the entire organization.

Lost in the shuffle last year was Rojas working with McNeil to become an everyday outfielder. In 2019, McNeil was an All-Star, and he had a 2 DRS in the outfield.

When you break it down, this is a hard working individual who is able to get the most out of the players on this team. With his being bilingual, he can talk baseball in any language. No matter what angle you look at this from, Rojas was the perfect hire for this team. That goes double when you consider he’s one of the few holdovers from Callaway’s staff at a time the Mets desperately need some continuity.

Overall, the Mets took a terrible situation, and they made the most of it hiring the person who very likely should have been hired in November. Rojas is the best man for this job, and the 2020 Mets will be better for having him at the helm.

31 thoughts on “Mets Finally Get It Right Hiring Luis Rojas”

1. oldbackstop says:

hmmmmm…..maybe a little quick,

Andy Martino, SNY.tv | Twitter |

With the wildly different takes on Luis Rojas that have surfaced during a week of reporting rolling around in my head, it was hard to form an opinion on the Mets’ managerial choice.

Then, during SNY’s breaking news coverage, Keith Hernandez summed it up in a way that finally made sense: “I’m going to need at least 24 hours to digest this.”

===========================================

I hope so. Or was it the hasty but easy decision?

Of course, you’re sitting there changing your opinion on Rojas because BVW hired him.

1. Oldbackstop says:

Does the above sound like I like the hire? Really?

2. Rich Hausig says:

Interesting MD, I said I thought it would be him over the weekend. I also said, as I did when Beltran was hired, that I felt this was a spot for a veteran manager, but that this front office would not hire one of the big names. Now that they’ve made the wrong move twice, I’m thinking, this might just work.

The man has clearly prepared his entire life for this. He has the 100% support of the core group. As you see Alonso, again, is out in front of this and having played for Rojas his voice resonates louder and having his loyalty is 1/2 the battle. The rest is the veterans and Rojas has Cano which pretty much settles the other 1/2. Now can he manage?

Sometimes forces beyond our control just get it right. I’d bet we have a better chance of getting it right by luck or the hand of the BB gods than if it was just Brodie and Jeffy making the decision.

3. Oldbackstop says:

Hey, I’m going to be clear since MD seems to think I’m kissing BVW’ ass, I’m against this hire. It was the easy, conflict-free, popular choice. Management likes him because he will be a beta male. Players like him because he is ‘nice’ and a known entity

A veteran high profile coach would be wont to shake things up. To call Thor on his BS. To throw a chair back at BVW. To tell Cano he might have to play somewhere other than second base. To tell Yo-C…well anything. Hustle

To bring something NEW to the third place team
    Remember all the breathless tall about what Beltran was bringing? Succeeding in NY.

Rojas brings nothing.

I don’t like the hire, alert BVW.

You’d have more credibility if you admitted you were caught changing your stance

4. oldbackstop says:

Lotta pushback now.

Rojas looks like a babyfaced guy I’d be sending for coffee. Martino said Rojas was not a finalist in October because he was roundly considered too young and not ready. He asks many are asking why they didn’t spend a week interviewing other candidates (note to MD) . He said as a non-player he does not command the respect in the clubhouse as, say, Beltran would.

The younger guys love him. Big deal.

BVW blew this one, to the extent it was his choice. Rojas is a beta male, too young, no major league managing experience, no playing experience, and will get bitched as soon as there is a conflict with the Real Men.

What you said was a bad joke, and you owe Rojas an apology for these lies.

1. oldbackstop says:

I’m sorry.
        Could you tell him when you guys play Angry Birds tonight at Gymboree?

5. oldbackstop says:

Hernandez. “I was floored by this hire. He seems too young and no MLB experience.”

He said much more than that

6. oldbackstop says:

I know changing your stance is far to a mature thing for you to ever do, but what are you talking about? I have said they needed a senior veteran guy that commands respect.

This is….literally…the exact opposite.

No, you changed and changed back.

Own it.

1. Oldbackstop says:

I can’t recall endorsing Rojas. Could you cite that since you obviously are going to make it a big deal, like I made you wanting Alonso in the Cano trade a big deal…

I wasn’t AGAINST Rojas, I was agnostic, until I saw he looked like a 12-year old boy.

You’re lying when you say you weren’t against Rojas. Time and again, you insulted him. But when your god BVW hired him, you said this, “Keith was on the right track there. Our only amendment to his take is that we might need even more time — 24 weeks maybe? — to formulate an informed take on the news.”

After you were called out on it, you then said you didn’t change your mind, and you returned to trolling by calling him a “beta male”

On the trolling point, you continue to misrepresent something I said

7. Blair M. Schirmer says:

Rojas is coming in to manage an old team. The Mets were older than the NL average in 2019, and with their offseason additions, all of them post-prime, they only got older. They also shed none of their old players, and added no regulars who are pre-prime. For all the talk about Rojas’ experience with Mets players who came up through their minor league system, let’s hope he can deal with an old ballclub.

1. Blair M. Schirmer says:

Let’s see. Ages on Opening Day with JD in LF and McNeil at 3B:

32, 25, 37, 24, 28, and in the OF it’s… 27, 27, 27.
      The average is 28.375. 28.77 if deGrom starts. If you wanted to go with the median, that’s 27.

If the Mets have their way and it’s Lowrie at 3B and NcNeil in LF, the average age is 29.5. 29.77 if deGrom starts. The median moves to 28, but I don’t know that the median is more representative here since the ages below it are 24, 25, 27, 27, while the ages above the median are 32, 32, 36, 37. That’s 25 years above the median, but only 9 years below it. 25 years of increasingly brittle bones, leathery ligaments, of tendons drying out, creaking, ossifying…

Imagine that. The average age of the Mets team on Opening Day may well be almost 30, and closing in on 31 if Cespedes gets the nod. Yet on most sites fans refer to this as a “young” team. What can they be thinking?

They’re looking at the young core and making it out to be the whole team.

2. Oldbackstop says:

They are thinking a lot of these guys got a late star in the majors…deGrom, McNeil, etc.

8. Blair M. Schirmer says:

Someone said Cespedes looks fat in the video of him doing ‘sprints’ on a field and hitting in a cage.
    The excess weight is evident particularly when he’s hitting. He’s got that 10 pound gut hanging a little off to one side that the loose shirt and his overall, fullback build tends to hide.

It’s one more reason to figure he won’t contribute much, at least not in the NL, and there’s no reason for it. He had millions and millions of reasons not to have the gut, not to have the thick middle–but that’s what he chose. Does he look like he can still get around on 97 mile an hour fastballs? Better hitters than Cespedes work like dogs and diet year round to stay in shape and still can’t cut it at 34. It’s worth remembering, too, that he only had the one great year, only one season worth more than 4 bWAR and that was in 2015. His career OBP is a weak .328, and that was when he could run.

Maybe with the 26 man roster the Mets can put him in Rusty Staub’s old role in his second go-round with the team, as their pinch hitter *de luxe* who gets one to two hundred plate appearances over the year and always gets pinch run for. Cespedes doesn’t walk enough, though, to make that a likely proposition. Still, it’d be interesting if he can hit and can’t run much, to see him as the Mets DH in interleague games and otherwise get a pinch hitting appearance in 120 games, almost as a matter of course late in games. If they can’t trade him, that might be a much better course than trying to get him into games in LF when the Mets have the JD / Dom platoon ready to go.

You raise an interesting point. We see Cespedes being able to do things, but we have no idea how he could withstand a game let alone a 162 game schedule.

2. Oldbackstop says:

That situation would call for a good pinch runner off the bench who might swipe a base, when we most prominently have Dom.

9. Oldbackstop says:

***You’re lying when you say you weren’t against Rojas. Time and again, you insulted him.****

Okay, I was not happy with Rojas. Gotcha. Wasn’t ever.

“””But when your god BVW hired him, you said this, “Keith was on the right track there. Our only amendment to his take is that we might need even more time — 24 weeks maybe? — to formulate an informed take on the news.”””””

???? That was a quote from Andy Martino I cut and pasted. Andy was expressing his own reservations then saying Keith “was on the right track,” etc
    ===============
    In a career calling for daily apologies that were never made, this is the king of them.

1. Oldbackstop says:

And just a footnote. You are getting psychotic over whether someone amends an opinion (I didn’t here, but just saying). You say it would improve my credibility….that is a laugh riot coming from you. You have wound up flattened into the debate ground whining you are right in practically every thread since January 1.

I’ve backed up my positions with facts, and you use feelings and trolling.

Your tone and tenor change when I say something as opposed to when BVW does something.

1. Oldbackstop says:

My tone and tenor????? I was quoting Martino and Hernandez. Jesus, I’m living in your head rent free.

I don’t like the hire. How you can say that supports BVW is beyond me. I said all along this is a win now team that needed a veteran manager and they hired some kid with no experience managing in the major leagues.

You changed from saying Rojas would be a disaster because I advocated for him to saying we should take time to consider him because BVW hired him to hating him again because I said something.

It’s very clear what you’re doing here

1. Oldbackstop says:

No, I quoted Hernandez as being cautious as an example of someone else not being rah-rah, in the early minutes where everyone was applauding.

I initiallly quoted Hernandez as saying ” “I was floored by this hire. He seems too young and no MLB experience.”

My first quote — Does it sound like I would quote that if I was for Rojas? Really? That confused you?

Dude, you have serious issues with reading comprehension. You sound very desperate as to how you are making yourself a horse’s ass here since Jan. 1.

10. Oldbackstop says:

“Is this guy, who was roundly believed to be not ready, going to be better than Buck Showalter, Dusty Baker, et al?

I hope so. Or was it the hasty but easy decision?”