J.D. Davis’ And Jake Marisnick’s Sign Stealing Against Mets Pitchers

While Major League Baseball underwent an investigation, it was a Houston Astros fan who really did the research into the extent of the Astros sign stealing.

Tony Adams set up a website named Sign Stealing Scandal. On his website and on Twitter, he released the results of his investigation into the extent of the Astros sign stealing. It also detailed how often there was the now infamous banging sound during an Astros’ batter’s plate appearance:

Looking at the chart, there was a banging noise 22.8% of the time during Jake Marisnick‘s at-bats and 28.6% of the time when J.D. Davis batted. Both players are members of the New York Mets.

However, in 2017, they were Houston Astros, and they squared off against pitchers who are currently on the Mets pitching staff.

On September 2, 2017, Davis played in both ends of a doubleheader going 2-for-8 with a double, homer, and two RBI. Both of those hits came against Tommy Milone and Jamie Callahan, neither of whom are with the Mets.

On that day, the only pitcher he faced who is still with the Mets is Seth Lugo. While he went 0-for-2, he was in a lineup which handed Lugo the loss.

Lugo, who wants to be a starter, has only started five games after that losing effort.

Marisnick was not in the lineup for either game. It should also be noted Sign Stealing Scandal denotes there was no video from those games. As such, we are not 100% sure the Astros used the banging those days, but it’s reasonable to assume it happened.

It should be noted this wasn’t the only time Davis and Marisnick squared off against current Mets pitchers.

On June 3, 2018, Davis was 0-for-3 against Rick Porcello in a game Porcello picked up the win.

Essentially, Davis’ full extent of facing current Mets pitchers as a member of the Astros was those five at-bats against Lugo and Porcello.

Given his going hitless in those at-bats and how popular he appears among those players from last year’s Mets roster, it appears he may not have to do much, if anything, to smooth things over with his teammates.

Marisnick might be a different story.

In 2017, he was a combined 1-for-5 with a double against Marcus Stroman, Edwin Diaz, and Justin Wilson. The double came against Stroman in a game played at Minute Maid.

If we expand the time period to include 2018 and 2019, Marisnick has faced six of the pitchers currently on the Mets pitching staff. In addition to doubling off Stroman, he has also doubled against Porcello and Brad Brach. He didn’t record a hit against Diaz, Wilson, or Dellin Betances.

With respect to Stroman, he’s been very outspoken about what the Astros did, and like many, he isn’t happy about it.

In that tweet, he specifically addresses the game Marisnick doubled off of him. Clearly, Stroman was baffled by this game, and he’s justifiably upset about the whole sign stealing scandal.

He’s not the only one. Andy Martino of SNY reports Jacob deGrom and Edwin Diaz suspected they were victims of sign stealing, and for his part, deGrom was angry about it.

The Mets were actually one of the more vocal teams about this last year. Kevin Kernan of the New York Post wrote about how much the Dodgers were on top of Diaz’s pitches. While cautioning they didn’t believe it to be illegal, Mickey Callaway and the Mets spoke about how they believed the Dodgers were stealing signs.

Callaway lost his job. We’ve also seen the Astros teeing off on Chris Flexen, who is now pitching in Korea.

Right now, we know Davis and Marisnick cheated, and we’re starting to learn the extent to which they cheated. We also know their cheating has affected Mets new and old. Finally, we know at least some of the Mets pitchers are upset about the Astros sign stealing.

What we don’t know is what, if any, impact Davis’ and Marisnick’s part in the sign stealing will have on the 2020 Mets.

One of the reasons Carlos Beltran was fired was the difficulty in carrying on his managerial duties after discovering his involvement in the scandal. That may or may not have included his ability to handle pitchers like Stroman who he cheated against.

Of course, that presupposes there is going to be an issue. Maybe there won’t be one at all.

In the end, all we know is Davis and Marisnick cheated against former and current Mets pitchers, and at least some of the Mets pitchers are upset about what happened in Houston. Where the Mets go from here could very well be a factor in how the Mets clubhouse holds together and the team performs in 2020.

0 thoughts on “J.D. Davis’ And Jake Marisnick’s Sign Stealing Against Mets Pitchers”

1. Blair M. Schirmer says:

“Now, the conversation shifts to those same pitchers reactions to their teammates, how Davis and Marisnick respond, and ultimately how Luis Rojas can manage the situation.”

—-Speaking of managerial acumen, I was appalled at Rojas’ inability to speak meaningfully–to speak in more than the most banal, cliched language–during his introductory presser, and would be genuinely interested as I was wrt Beltran, to learn of one *specific* talk, article, discussion, conversation, panel appearance… where Luis Rojas displays actual baseball acumen.

I’ve looked. I haven’t found an example. It would be nice to learn of one.

Show me the press conference where a new managerial hire does what you are criticizing Luis Rojas for not doing

1. Blair M. Schirmer says:

@metsdaddy Why you believe your deflection does you or Luis Rojas any favors, will probably remain a mystery.
        My being appalled was a honest and legitimate recoiling from Rojas’ statement, that I’ve already transcribed in your website, where he says:

“well uh I mention that’s one of the that’s one of the three uh most important things that’s one of the three uh that I want, uh, that I’m gonna be employing on a daily basis with the players of course we’re a front office and uh you know um um I, I, that’s my number one thing, communication. I think everyone everybody needs to know where they’re at I mean that makes things go easier, ah, you know, and uh and that’s something that I know we’re gonna we’re gonna have a strong one you know when it met when it when it’s when ah when you talk about players front office coaches uh, the media, you know we’re gonna have a really good communication.”

You’re certainly welcome to try and find another manager’s intro that is as inept and sad.
        In the meantime I can only repeat, Wow, along with my original question, to which you appear to have no answer:

“…and [I] would be genuinely interested as I was wrt Beltran, to learn of one *specific* talk, article, discussion, conversation, panel appearance… where Luis Rojas displays actual baseball acumen.”

Just one example would be welcome. Very, very welcome.

I’ve cited examples in my pieces advocating for him including his work developing these players, what he did as the QC coach, his work with McNeil last year, and what the players have said about him.

In response you over focus on a very small segment of his press conference while deflecting on my question

2. Oldbackstop says:

@Blair. Quote from Rojas really good press conference:

“We have a really good roster. We have really good starting pitching, we have a really good bullpen, and we can score some runs. So I feel really good about it.”
          ===========

That’s an actual quote. There is a similar paragraph where he fell in love with the word “proud.”

We hired a moron. That is not to say we can’t win with a moron in the limited role managers have nowadays (and the almost pathological non-existent one they have under Wilpon/Brodie)

His intelligence will be a recurring theme once the honeymoon wears off with the nedia.

You cut off the preceding line where Rojas talked about utilizing the specific skillsets of your roster. Put another way, he said as a manager you tailor what you do in accordance to your team’s strengths and weaknesses.

This is right in line with your shtick.

2. Oldbackstop says:

… you use you roster’s strength???? You mean….wait….WOW!!!!!!

3. Blair M. Schirmer says:

@metsdaddy – “Schtick”? If you mean being smarter than you, outarguing you every time you start spewing nonsense, highlighting your inability to make cogent points or support your bizarre assertions, and underlining the fundamental dishonesty you resort to whenever you feel cornered by one of the absurd positions you take…

Then, yeah, guilty. I would not have expected you to take the moron’s route with me, and stooping to namecalling and crude offense, but sure, game on.

First off, my shtick response was to Old Backstop.

Second, I’ll note I substantiate points instead of railing against people for what’s said at introductory press conferences while refusing to acknowledge source material for points.

Overall, I’d note I’m never dishonest nor do I take absurd positions. People who make those statements are just frustrated their feelings don’t have a factual basis, and I won’t give in on poorly reasoned counter-points

2. Blair M. Schirmer says:

Speaking of 2020, on learning that NL East teams spent around $722m thus far this offseason on FA contracts it occurred to me that the NYMets, who on average overperformed but still won only 86 games and finished 3rd, spent less than 4% of that total–and I was also reminded of the recent offseasons where the Mets did the least they could get away with doing (when their moves weren’t utterly misguided).

This offseason, the Wilpons and Van Wagenen added:

–the worst qualifying starter by ERA in MLB.
    –a 5th OFer.
    –a reliever who had one start last season and whose health and recovery are unknown.
    –to the bullpen a swingman, whose ERA last year was 4.76 and whose FIP was 5.61

Van Wagenen also made a team that was older than the MLB average last season even older.
    It’s hard to see this ending well.

This could be 2006 or 1992

2. Oldbackstop says:

Well….if you look WAR over WAR, we are smoked.

What you hope for is improvements and more time from Thor, Ramos, Cano, JD, Dom, Lowrie, Familia, Diaz….you get it.

3. LongTimeFan1 says:

This offseason the Mets added two All Stars, one Cy Young award winner, a speedster and superb defender, a bench coach with 3 World Series rings, a new manager that the Rays, under Chaim Bloom, coveted last offseason for their big league staff.

All of the 4 outside player acquisitions have postseason experience.

I’m excited about the upcoming season. So are the players.

Some people choose to be negative, amplifying negativity for it’s own sake.

Should this team remain relatively healthy, this looks to me like a 95 game winner or thereabouts. 93-98.

1. Blair M. Schirmer says:

@LongTimeFan1 – Or in your case, resorting to insult and brainless positivity because you can’t handle simple facts.

Interesting, that I wasn’t addressing you in the least, but your sense of the world is so fragile you responded to my post like a six year old screeching after their ice cream cone falls on the sidewalk.

The team was healthier than most last year, won only 86, added only old and injured players, but You Go, Girl! 98!!
        We’re raising a generation of dunces mesmerized by surfaces, so unable to look at the world as it is they have to get drunk on glitter drinks and salemen’s spittle.

You’re not a fan, you’re a mark.

Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?

3. LongTimeFan1 says:

Navigating the Jake Marisnik situation will be challenging but should be addressed when he comes into camp, and then more formally on the first day of position player mandatory reporting.

I suspect Mets have a plan for addressing this matter privately within the clubhouse, and publicly. And that Marisnik and his representatives have a plan as that includes communication with his new teammates as well as the public. These plans will almost certainly merge.

The Marisnik-Stroman work-through is likely to be the most consequential and noteworthy.

Their not having a previous personal relationship is the key difference between Marisnick and Davis

2. Oldbackstop says:

JD has more of an issue because he stated, albeit when trapped off guard by the media, that he knew nothing about the scheme. Clearly he did. Both have to face up to knowing about it….JD has to deal with having clearly lied about it to the NY media.

1. LongTimeFan1 says:

On Dec 5th, JD denied knowledge and stated he wasn’t contacted by MLB investigators.

He made his big league debut on August 5th 2017.

Looking from afar, that’s terrible situation for any raw rookie just trying to perform well in the majors, mind his own business and keep his spot on the roster.

I doubt his Mets teammates hold any ill will against him and I suspect he’s had conversations with them.

Marisnik however will have complex circumstance to deal with. The best approach I think is to go public in a Q & A, be honest and if he cheated, apologize to his new teammates and the public.

1. Oldbackstop says:

Grandy just retired. He should have been the Mets manager.

1. LongTimeFan1 says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if managing is in his future.

Also think he’d make a good on-air analyst and wouldn’t be surprised if he gets that going this season. MLBN seems like good place to start. And/or even in SNY studio guest appearances.

If I were the Mets, I’d offer him any role he wants

He has said he doesn’t want to manage

4. Oldbackstop says:

Yeah. Or Senator, although that doesn’t look fun right now.

A real vet, like Wright, has to have it in his head that manager jobs are like small businesses….90 percent don’t make it five years. Then you are doing a perp walk

I wonder just how much the same people who pushed for Beltran’s firing will attempt to hold Davis and Marisnick accountable.

1. LongTimeFan1 says:

I don’t know.

The three could be lumped together by some fans or media and receive vote of no confidence.

I think each situation should be separately addressed.

The most glaring in my view is Beltran. An ethical collapse as Astro and Mets manager. A man known for his leadership and integrity engaged in shocking behavior. And then lied to cover it up. He deserved to be fired and is living with the consequences to his career, reputation, Hall of Fame chances, and having to answer to his friends, family, kids, baseball academy and himself.

He also hurt us – those of us who believed in his integrity, the baseball acumen he could impart as Mets manager, and that he would have been just the third Hall of Fame inductee to go in as Met.

2. Oldbackstop says:

Well, what do you propose? I’m all ears. When asked what you would have done in JD’s shoes, called up as a rookie in a pennant race, you couldn’t man up with an answer.

How are you spending those royalties from Frozen?

4. oldbackstop says:

“”””How are you spending those royalties from Frozen?””””

Uh….don’t get this reference, other than it is a movie for children, so I’m sure you know it by heart.

Again, MD….you have posted a dozen judgmental rants about the sign stealing issue, can you not address this?:

January 22 at MD: “”When asked what you would have done in JD’s shoes, called up as a rookie in a pennant race, you couldn’t man up with an answer.”””

Are you feel maligned the Mets give out garden gnomes?

4. LongTimeFan1 says:

Just a correction. JD made his denial on Dec 4th.

1. oldbackstop says:

??? What’s a “correction?”

My MD app autocorrects that to “you are a troll…”